Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Monday 30 May 2011

Review: Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Blood Magic (Blood Journals, #1)
Title: Blood Magic
Author: Tessa Gratton
Series: The Blood Journals #1
Pages: 406
Publisher: Doubleday
Release Date: July 7th 2011 (UK)
Source: ARC from publisher



This page-turning debut novel will entice fans who like their paranormal romances dark and disturbing. It's a natural next-read for fans of Stephanie Meyer, Carrie Jones, and Becca Fitzpatrick. But instead of mythical creatures, blood magic has everything to do with primal human desires like power, wealth, and immortality.

Everywhere Silla Kennicott turns she sees blood. She can't stop thinking about her parents alleged murder-suicide. She is consumed by a book filled with spells that arrives mysteriously in the mail. The spells share one common ingredient: blood, and Silla is more than willing to cast a few. What's a little spilled blood if she can uncover the truth? And then there's Nick—the new guy at school who makes her pulse race. He has a few secrets of his own and is all too familiar with the lure of blood magic. Drawn together by a combination of fate and chemistry, Silla and Nick must find out who else in their small Missouri town knows their secret and will do anything to take the book and magic from Silla.



Blood Magic felt incredibly unique. Yes, magic has been done before but it felt like a completely different spin on it. The book was edgy, dark and sexy. It was like nothing I have read before. It was a mystery with history and secrets and almost everything I need in a novel.


The characters were wonderful. I really connected with Silla and I could empathise with her. She was a brave character who had been through a lot which made me admire her strength. Her brother Reese was a character I really connected with. Nick, Silla's love interest was a bit of a bad boy and I have to say I really liked him. 


Unfortunately for me the romance between Silla and Nick didn't do much for me. It was sexy, yes but I felt like there was only lust, no like or love behind it all. I just didn't really get it. That being said I did enjoy the chemistry between them.


The plot was intriguing. There was a complete mystery to unravel and I felt so involved watching Silla, Nick and Reese discover what was going on. The dual narrative between Silla and Nick really added to the plot and gave an extra dimension to the novel. I was shocked by a lot of the surprises thrown my way and I love it when that happens.


The ending wasn't too much a cliffhanger but that was good. I felt there had been enough twists and turns within the body of the novel to end slightly calmer. It still leaves a little wonder to what will happen in the next book and I will definitely be picking the second book up!


I am having a 250 FOLLOWER GIVEAWAY for this book as well as two others. 

3 comments:

  1. Whoa, I can't wait to read this! Fantastic review, darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review, Alice :) I like the sound of the dual narration and the surprising twists, but that romance...I don't know. I know just what you mean and I'm getting a little tired of all lust with no substance. Still, I might give it a try because of the other features. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! Thanks for sharing we can relate to the characters despite being fictional and thanks for the warning about the romance part.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...