Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Friday 24 June 2011

Read, Review, Recommend (8)

Friday has rolled around again. Sorry for being MIA, I had my last exam this week (YAY) and had a little maths party in pizza express. So, busy week. Today I have Tessa from From The Bookshelf of T.B. with her recommendation


-----

Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie

Author: Jordan Sonnenblick

Publisher: Scholastic


5 out of 5 stars

“Will you just leave me alone!”  You slam the door in your little brother’s face.  Taking deep breaths, you close your eyes and try to calm down.  But you just can’t when you open your eyes and see the destruction he’s caused.  You hear your brother start to cry and run downstairs to mommy.  Ugh, what an annoying little twerp.  Your whole room is trashed… and I mean everything.  Purple paint is splattered on your walls, your books are all torn in half with pages scattering the floor, and most of all, your drumsticks are broken in half and tossed on the floor!  He touched your precious drumsticks!  You can’t contain your rage as you scream into your pillow, letting it all out.  You don’t know how long it’s been, but later your mom walks in and says through her tears, “Honey, your brother has cancer.”  Suddenly, the world spins…

Steven Alper knows exactly how this feels.  His little brother, Jeffrey is the MOST annoying little boy on planet Earth.  He does everything possible to bother and irritate Steven, and yet Steven is always the one who gets in trouble for everything.  After all, Jeffrey is only five years old.  And what’s worse, not only is Jeffrey adorable, but he also adores Steven.  The only problem is that in the process he destroys everything.  But how can you stay mad at a cute little boy like Jeffrey?

Steven not only has Jeffrey to deal with, but as an eighth grader he has school, girl issues, and playing the drums to focus on.  Life can be rough at times, and extremely hectic, but Steven’s life is about to be turned upside down.  It was just a normal morning at home, but after a sudden nose bleed, Jeffrey was rushed to the hospital.  Who knew that something was wrong, how could there have been a way to know?  Jeffrey was diagnosed with cancer, at only five years old.  What will this mean for Steven, and how will Jeffrey take it?  Where’s that annoying little brother when Steven needs him the most?  All is revealed in Jordan Sonnenblick’s heart-wrenching, yet laugh out loud story of one boy’s journey learning to cope and deal with the impossible in, Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie!

This book is an absolute must-read for anyone looking for a fun read that touches on serious and deep issues.  Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie made me feel raw emotion, and I was surprised at how easily I could shift from crying with tears dripping onto the page, to suddenly smiling through the tears and chuckling along.  Jordan Sonnenblick’s writing had this magical affect on me, and I was able to feel everything that he was trying to get across the page.  A fantastic read for pre-teens and teens alike with its heart-warming story.

I think one of the main reasons why I enjoyed this book so much was the fact that the writing felt very easy-going and it was as if a boy in the eighth grade was truly talking to me right then and there.  The writing in Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me mad and it made me hopeful.  It was extremely humorous to read about Steven’s retellings of many of Jeffrey’s crazy incidents.  It was also very cute to read the parts of the dialogue that were Jeffrey’s.  His five-year-old cuteness was evident, and there was nothing to do but smile.

The story behind Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie was very real as well.  I was able to relate extremely well with Steven and what he was going through.  My own grandpa was diagnosed with cancer, and within a couple of months he passed away.  I really felt like I had a connection with Steven, like how suddenly the news was thrust upon me, and who knew how it would all turn out.  Also, during the story Steven is in the eighth grade, just as I am.  It was a cinch connecting with the stresses of junior high that Steven experienced.  I’m sure many readers can relate to Steven and Jeffrey’s own story.

I would actually have enjoyed to have seen this book be a bit longer though.  I felt like my journey with Steven and Jeffrey was over much too soon.  I can’t wait to read some more of Jordan Sonnenblick’s other books such as, Notes from the Midnight Driver.

To sum it all up, Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie is a powerful book that will have you feeling an array of emotions.  With a lighthearted take on everything, this read will be sure to have you laughing along even in the most saddening of times.  Join Steven as he learns what really matters in life and just how important family is in, Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie!

-This is T.B. with Another Book Back on the Shelf…
Until Next Time, Keep Reading!

----

Thanks so much Tessa!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me Alice! I'm so glad I could be featured on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...