Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Saturday 4 June 2011

Review: One Seriously Messed-Up Week: in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samonsite by Tom Clempson

     One Seriously Messed-Up Week: in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samsonite    Title: One Seriously Messed-Up Week: in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samonsite
Author: Tom Clempson
Series: 1st in a series
Pages: 407
Publisher: Atom
Release Date: June 2nd 2011
Source: From Atomics



Our hero?
Jack Samsonite
His mission?
1) pass his GCSEs
2) get the girl (to notice he exists)
3) survive the week without a 
serious face punching
Good thing he’s got a plan. Well, half a plan…




I almost have no words for this book. It has to be the strangest, most peculiar book I have ever read. I go to all girls school so I don't know if it is an accurate representation of boys in a mixed school but if it is...WOW. It was certainly amusing.

This book will not be liked by everyone. There is swearing, there is toilet talk. There are plenty of things people will turn their noses up at. I will admit if someone offered me a book, saying it contained mentions of whether you wipe your behind standing up or sitting down I would politely decline. However, the book just felt so normal and so real that I was completely swept away with it.

Jack was very funny. He doesn't have the greatest school life and I love him for that. His uncool nature and the embarrassing embarrassing situations he gets himself into makes for a great novel. As a character he is highly entertaining and someone who just made me smile. His friend James. AWESOME. That is all I have to say about him!

It doesn't seem like it had much of a plot but I don't feel it is hugely about a standardised beginning, middle and end. It is about Jack's (eventful) week. Not much happens. It isn't an action packed book. It isn't intended to be. It is a nosey into Jack's life and to be honest it is highly entertaining.

The ending had me so surprised. I was questioning my gut, jumping back and forth between my conclusions and my gut failed me. I was completely and utterly shocked! I love it when a book shocks me!

This book is hilarious. It is not for everyone but if you like a good laugh, don't mind some swearing and crude conversations this book is for you. If you like the Inbetweeners you will love this!

2 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE Inbetweeners fan, so I'm kind of expecting to love this book. Plus funny books are just awesome. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..What a strange review, but fun as well. I think this might be a book that I read and feel very embarassed and/or shocked. I kind of like when a book can do that to me though, I'll just have to read it now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...