Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Waiting on Wednesday {10}



 Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #1
Pages: 327
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: April 24th 2012


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon. 

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks. 

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.



I love dystopians.  I love the idea of almost a pageant to complete for the crown and the Prince's affections. It is always nice to see a protagonist that isn't just following the crowd and has her own ideas. Not sure how I will like the  love triangle but I am interested to find out!

3 comments:

  1. I have this book in my to pre-order list. And I love the cover. Thanks for sharing :) Here is my WoW: http://wordsfeelingssilence.blogspot.com/2012/01/waiting-on-wednesday-endure-need-4-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dystopians and I'm definitely looking forward for this book too! I love how you said it's like the idea of a pageant almost, it really is! April needs to be here already! Great pick Alice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed The Selection but was very frustrated with how it ended. It is not written as a stand alone book.

    America Singer is a sixteen year old girl living in the Carolina district of Ilea, a country built on the ruins of North America after World War 3. In Ilea, people's lives are dictated by their numerical status. America and her family are fives, certainly doing better than the sixes, sevens and eights, but still in the lower half of the society. America is in love with Aspen, who is a six. It is not typical for a girl to marry down, so America and Aspen keep their relationship a secret. When the Selection, a "Bachelor" type contest to find the next Princess, is announced, Aspen encourages America to enter as he is not able to provide for.

    Of course, America is chosen as one of the 35 girls to compete for Prince Maxon's affections. Before she leaves, Aspen breaks up with her and America heads to the castle with a broken heart. She has no interest in Prince Maxon, but wants to stay at the castle to heal and as one of only three fives chosen, to eat well for a change.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...