Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Saturday 16 June 2012

Review: Second Chance Summer






    
Title: Second Chance Summer
Author: Morgan Matson
Series: None
Pages: 468
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: June 7th 2012 (UK)
Source: For Review
Rating: 5 Stars
100 Book challenge: #51



Taylor's family might not be the closest-knit – everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled – but for the most part, they get along fine. Then they get news that changes everything: Her father has pancreatic cancer, and it's stage four – meaning that there is basically nothing to be done. Her parents decide that the family will spend his last months together at their old summerhouse in the Pocono Mountains. 

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven't actually gone anywhere. Her former summer best friend is suddenly around, as is her first boyfriend. . . and he's much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve. 

As the summer progresses, the Edwards become more of a family, and closer than they've ever been before. But all of them very aware that they're battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance – with family, with friends, and with love.



Second Chance Summer is the first Morgan Matson novel I have read and I must say that I cannot wait to read Amy and Roger's Epic Detour and every other book she writes next. It was so much more than just a romance book; it dealt with some really difficult issues and got me emotional more often than not.

Taylor is an avoider. She runs when things get tough but she has to spend the summer facing things she once ran from. I could relate to Taylor quite a bit. I too like to avoid difficult situations but things tend to fester and get worse and Taylor definitely has to face the destruction she left.

The title is beyond fitting for this novel. There were so many second chances in loss, love, self-discovery. Matson touched upon these issues so delicately and beautifully and she has such a talent for making you feel like you are a part of the novel.


Henry, oh Henry. I love you. You are sweet, loving and a little bit scarred but you are so full of love.

It is a slow burn book. I ate it up but some people do say it is slow and I suppose it is. There are many a reference to Taylor's past and where things went wrong there and it definitely takes a while to find out what happened but the way it was written made me really enaged.

it is a summer book, yes, but it deals with hard-hitting issues that means it goes beyond the typical fluffy romances (that I albeit love) and makes it something incredible. Contemporary fans, you'll want to get your hands on this!

2 comments:

  1. I'm halfway through this at the moment and I'm really enjoying it! Love summery books even though I think I'm in for a bit of a cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Amy and Roger's Epic Detour so I am really excited for this one. It sounds like it's just as good! Plus I like slow burn books. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...